Monday, 24 March 2014

Yeni Cami - Το Γενί Τζαμί Μυτιλήνης

Lesvos Postcard. In the present Ermou Street in the early 20th century. In the background, the bulk of the Yeni Cami (Mosque) its lead dome and minaret. Photograph taken from a spot on a level with the current Pergamou street.

It’s located in the city of Mytilene, on Ermou Street in the old Turkish market. It’s also reported that in its place predates an ancient stadium. Still preserved quite well its one of the largest and most important buildings of the city of Mytilene. Probably built on an older mosque with the name of Mescid or Çarşı Cami. According to the small sign in the entrance the mosque was built in 1241E (16 August 1824 - 4 August 1826) from the commander Mustafa Ağa Kulaksız. In 1844 it was visited and worshiped by Sultan Abdul Metzit. Stavrakis Anagnostou in 1850 in the book "Lesbias" states: "The city has six or seven Ottoman Mosques but the brightest of them is ..".
The history of its wearness, beyond the physical aging is due to the settlement of refugees and Greeks and Armenian in it after 1922 and until 1935 to 1936.

From 1937 and onwards, much of the 30-meter minaret begins to crumble. But the total blow came when the tin dome suffered from a partial detachment. This was the reason for some aldermen to suggest the demolition. With a municipal decision in 1951, it happened. This work was undertaken by contractors that included to rip the leaden sheets of the dome which exceeded the 1700 kilos. The interiors were ransacked by various collectors.
Despite all the signs of time wear even without the minaret and the dome, the building continues to impress. Although there have been several studies and restoration efforts, the mosque needs significant funds to fully emerge. The building has dimensions of 16.70 m x 17.30m, with cobbled courtyard. Inside the courtyard there was the house of the Mufti, fountains and taps. Near the Yeni Mosque, are also preserved Ottoman baths with several domes

The hamam behide the Mosque (foto Houtzaios)

Βρίσκεται στην πόλη της Μυτιλήνης, στην οδό Ερμού στην παλιά τούρκικη αγορά. Αναφέρεται ότι στη θέση του προϋπήρχε αρχαίο στάδιο. Διατηρείται ακόμη αρκετά καλά και είναι ένα από τα μεγαλύτερα και σημαντικότερα κτίσματα της πόλης. Πιθανώς να είναι κτισμένο σε παλαιότερο τέμενος με τις ονομασίες Mescid ή Çarşı Cami. Σύμφωνα με την μικρή επιγραφή στην είσοδο, κτίστηκε το 1241E (16 Αυγούστου 1824 – 4 Αυγούστου 1826) από τον διοικητή Mustafa Ağa Kulaksız. Το 1844 το επισκέφθηκε και το προσκύνησε ο Σουλτάνος Αβδούλ Μετζίτ. Ο Σταυράκης Αναγνώστου στο βιβλίο του «Η Λεσβιάς» το 1850 αναφέρει: "Τεμένη Οθωμανικά η πόλις έχει έξ ή επτά αλλ’ εξ αυτών το λαμπρότερο των άλλων..”.
Το ιστορικό της φθοράς του, πέρα από τη φυσική παλαίωση του, οφείλεται και στην εγκατάσταση προσφύγων Ελλήνων και Αρμένιδων μέσα σε αυτό μετά το 1922 και μέχρι το 1935-36.
Από το 1937 και μετά, μεγάλο τμήμα του 30 μέτρων μιναρέ αρχίζει να καταρρέει. Όμως το ολοκληρωτικό χτύπημα ήλθε όταν υπέστη μερική αποκόλληση ένα μικρό τμήμα του μολυβένιου τρούλου. Αυτό έγινε αφορμή ώστε κάποιοι δημοτικοί σύμβουλοι να προτείνουν την κατεδάφισή του. Με δημοτική απόφαση το 1951, αυτό έγινε πράξη. Την εργασία ανέλαβαν εργολάβοι που μεταξύ άλλων, ξήλωσαν και τα μολυβένια φύλλα τα οποία ξεπερνούσαν σε βάρος τις 1700 οκάδες. Οι δε εσωτερικές διακοσμήσεις λεηλατήθηκαν από τους διάφορους συλλέκτες.
Παρ’ όλα τα σημάδια φθοράς του χρόνου και των ανθρώπων αλλά και χωρίς το μιναρέ του και τον τρούλο του, το κτήριο εξακολουθεί να εντυπωσιάζει. Παρ’ ότι έχουν γίνει αρκετές μελέτες και αναστηλωτικές προσπάθειες, το τέμενος χρειάζεται σημαντικά κονδύλια προκειμένου αναδειχθεί πλήρως. Το κτίσμα έχει διαστάσεις 16.70 μ x 17.30, με λιθόστρωτη αυλή. Μέσα στο αύλειο χώρο υπήρχε το οίκημα του Μουφτή, σιντριβάνι και βρύσες. Πλησίον του Γενί Τζαμί, σώζονται επίσης Οθωμανικά λουτρά με πληθώρα τρούλων.

 Drawings of architect Prof. K. Mylonas (1979)

 Drawings of architect Prof. K. Mylonas (1979)
The interior (foto D.N. Karidis - M. Kiel, 2000)
The front (foto Maria Ax. Anagnostopoulou, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment